Poetry Out Loud
Poetry Out Loud is a national poetry recitation competition and educational program that encourages students to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance.
This free program helps students in grades 9 - 12 master public speaking skills, build self-confidence and learn about our literary heritage. Students also have the opportunity to compete for a expenses paid trip to Washington DC and over $50,000 in scholarships and prizes.
How Do I Get Involved?
High school teachers interested in having their classes participate register by completing School/Teacher Registration Form by Nov. 20, 2018. Once you are registered, your Regional Coordinator will inform you of deadlines and date competition. Winners of the regional competitions are invited to compete in the State Finals in Salina, Kansas March 2, 2019.
Students interested in vying for “at-large” regional competition positions, please have a sponsoring teacher submit the School/Teacher registration form by Nov. 20. Schools that hold competitions will receive the first registrations. Students who register from schools where they are the only contestant will fill the remaining open positions. Singleton registrations will be accepted on case by case basis.
POETRY OUT LOUD encourages the nation's youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and recitation. POL helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about their literary heritage. POL is a great way to bring poetry alive for both students and teachers.
- All Kansas high schools are invited to participate.
- POL is free of charge!
- Students compete for thousands of dollars in scholarships and prizes.
- POL meets many Kansas ELA and Theatre standards, as well as NCTE standards.
- KCAIC provides personalized assistance to help teachers get started and carry out the program.
Deadline to register: Nov. 20, 2018
For more information:
- Deb Kohn
- Kansas Poetry Out Loud Coordinator
2018-19 Kansas Regions
Region 1 ~ Regional Coordinator: Cynthia Roth, Olathe firstname.lastname@example.org
Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Douglas, Jackson, Jefferson, Leavenworth, Lyon, Marshall, Morris, Nemaha, Osage, Pottawatomie, Riley, Shawnee, Wabaunsee, Johnson, Wyandotte
Region 2 ~ Regional Coordinator: Cheryl Germann, Tipton email@example.com
Barton, Clay, Cloud, Cheyenne, Decatur, Dickinson, Ellis, Ellsworth, Gove, Graham, Geary, Jewell, Lincoln, Logan, Mitchell, Morris, Norton, Ottawa, Osborne, Phillips, Rawlins, Republic, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Saline, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Thomas, Trego, Wallace, Washington
Region 3 ~ Regional Coordinator: Stacy Chestnut, Wichita firstname.lastname@example.org
Barber, Butler, Chase, Clark, Comanche, Cowley, Edwards, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Harper, Harvey, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Lane, Marion, McPherson, Meade, Morton, Ness, Pawnee, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Scott, Sedgwick, Seward, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Sumner, Wichita
Region 4 ~ Regional Coordinator: Julie Aikins, Chanute email@example.com
Allen, Anderson, Bourbon, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Coffey, Crawford, Elk, Franklin, Greenwood, Labette, Linn, Miami, Montgomery, Neosho, Wilson, Woodson
Kansas Past Winners
- 2018: Bella L’Heureux - Blue Valley High School
- 2017: Sarah Katsiyiannis - Tipton Catholic High School
- 2016: Sarah Katsiyiannis - Tipton Catholic High School
- 2015: Leanne Chun - Olathe South High School
- 2014: Leanne Chun - Olathe South High School
- 2013: Aaron Brown - Shawnee Mission West High School
- 2012: Cody Keener - Baldwin High School
- 2011: Casha Gloria Mills - Shawnee Mission North High School
- 2010: Casha Gloria Mills - Shawnee Mission North High School
- 2009: Madeline Rogers - Baldwin High School
- 2008: Madeline Rogers - Baldwin High School
- 2007: Patrick Kuhn - Salina Central High School
- 2006: Andrew Toburen - Cair Paravel Latin School, Topeka